MetLife Legal Plan
Almost every area of life has legal implications— from having a baby, to marriage, divorce, and even natural disasters. Our MetLife program offers you support for a number of issues, including:
- House and real estate
- Estate planning
- Family law
- Auto accidents
- Criminal matters
MetLife gives you easy and low-cost access to a wide variety of personal legal services without deductibles, copays and usage limits when you use a network plan attorney. The plan covers you, your spouse and dependents and provides legal services from network and non-network attorneys.
MetLife is a voluntary group legal benefit designed to provide simple, convenient and affordable legal solutions for enrolled plan members for a small after-tax payroll deduction. Choose from more than 14,000 attorneys in their network, or use an out-of-network attorney, and MetLife will reimburse you according to the fee schedule.
The plan includes 100 percent paid-in-full coverage for attorneys' fees when you use a network attorney for these services and more*
- Simple and complex will preparation
- Living will and power of attorney documents
- Name change
- Divorce (first 15 hours)
- Consumer and personal property protection matters
- Debt collection defense and personal bankruptcy
- And more!
*Employment and business-related matters are excluded from coverage. Please review the Plan Summary for more information.
- MetLife offers 14,000 nationwide network plan attorneys and freedom of choice. Choose any attorney in our network or use an out-of-network attorney and MetLife will reimburse you according to the fee schedule.
- Plan attorneys have an average of 25 years of experience and must meet stringent criteria to join MetLife's network.
- No waiting periods to begin plan coverage. Start using the plan as soon as your coverage begins.
- MetLife is the largest provider of group legal plans in the United States and has been in the business for more than 30 years.
- MetLife includes full representation without wait periods.
It’s easy – You can access services in 2 simple steps.
Step 1. Visit members.legalplans.com
Create an account with the email of your choice, personal or work, and password to begin setting up your account. Once you’re logged in, you will be asked to provide some personal information to confirm your eligibility including:
- Full name
- Employer or organization offering the legal plan
Or call a MetLife Representative at 800-821-6400 (Mon - Fri, 8 am - 8 pm EST/EDT)
Provide the last 4 digits of the plan member's Social Security or Membership number. The Client Service Representative will:
- Verify your eligibility for services
- Discuss the coverage available for your legal matter
- Provide you with information about Network Attorneys most convenient to you
- Give you a case number to provide to your Network Attorney
- Answer any questions you have about your legal plan
Step 2. Contact the Plan Attorney of your choice.
When you call the attorney's office, indicate that you are a new client referred by MetLife Plans.
You can find a detailed list of covered services here
You can reach a network attorney with no waiting periods by calling 1-800-821-6400 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST.
- Spouse (until a final decree of divorce has been filed)
- Domestic partner
- Unmarried natural children, stepchildren, children under your care through court-approved guardianship, and children of a domestic partner through the end of the calendar year in which he/she reaches age 26.
- Children may be covered until the end of the calendar year in which the child reaches age 26 if he/she is a full-time or part-time student who receives more than half of his/her financial support from the eligible employee.
- Children may also be covered until the end of the calendar year in which he/she reaches age 26 if the child suffers from a mental or physical handicap, is incapable of self-support, and is fully dependent on the employee for support.
For comprehensive eligibility information, please see the Plan Description under the Financial Protection > MetLife Legal Plan section in the Guides, Plan Summaries & Flyers tab.
Please refer to the Plan Description under the Financial Protection > MetLife Legal Plan section in the Guides, Plan Summaries & Flyers tab for complete details.
No service (including consultations) will be provided for:
- Employment-related matters, including company or statutory benefits
- Matters involving the employer, MetLife® and affiliates, and plan attorneys;
- Matters in which there is a conflict of interest between the employee and spouse or dependents, in which case services are excluded for the spouse and dependents
- Appeals and class actions
- Matters involving any business or commercial enterprise of the employee or spouse, or tax returns related to any business or commercial enterprise
- Farm matters, business or investment matters, matters involving property held for investment or rental, or issues when the participant is the landlord
- Patent, trademark and copyright matters
- Costs and fines
- Frivolous or unethical matters
- Matters for which an attorney-client relationship exists prior to the participant becoming eligible for plan benefits
- Advice on issues experienced by a third party, such as a question involving someone other than the employee. An example of a third-party situation would be "my brother's arrests for possession" or "my mother's landlord problem."